Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Where Ever They Go We'll Follow Our Team



"Where ever they go we`ll follow our team,
For we are the Chelsea and we are supreme,
We'll never be mastered by no northern bastards,
And we'll keep the blue flag flying high,
Flying high, up in the sky,
We'll keep the blue flag flying high
From Stamford Bridge to Wemb(er)ley
We'll keep the blue flag flying high

Chelsea! Chelsea!"


Since I have started doing Jonesy's Jukebox last May people around the station have asked many questions about how the show is going. Things like how I'm getting along with Jonesy? are you having fun doing the show? Has he told you any crazy stories yet? I have answers for all of these questions and most others that get asked, but there was one that really intrigued me one time. A couple months after I had started, Chuck P, who does Dead Air on Sunday nights here on Indie 1031 and did Jonesy's Jukebox for the couple weeks before I got here asked me, "Has he watched a futbol (or soccer for all of us here in the States) game in the studio with you yet?" My answer at the time was no, and ever since that day he asked me that I have always wondered when the day would come that I would watch a futbol game in the studio with Jonesy.

Well, today that day came.

As you all know Jonesy's team is Chelsea. If you follow any kind of sport you know what it's like to route for "your team". The ups and downs, the wins and loses, the heartbreak and glory, all of these emotions come along with having a team that you have always followed your whole life, a team you would fight for. Being from Boston, the Red Sox are that team for me. They are "my team". For Jonesy, Chelsea Futbol Club is "his team" and today they were playing Fenerbahce for a chance to advance to the Semi Finals of the Champions League.

Jonesy arrived at the station this morning around 11:30, as he usually does, in his bright blue Chelsea track jacket ready for a war against Fenerbahce. Today was the day, "his team" was playing a huge final game with everything on the line, a MUST win. This was going to be a fantastic two hours of futbol. The only problem...we had a radio show to do that starts at the exact same time as kickoff. Luckily, one of our many friends from one of the six other Entravision stations on our floor tipped us off to a website where you can watch the game live for free in real time! BRILLIANT!!!

It took me about twenty minutes to figure out how to actually get the game up and running on the computer in the studio. You know how the Internet goes...lots of random websites and applications just to get a simple video player. I finally got the game up on the screen. It was actually pretty good quality. They were only 20 minutes in to the 90 minute game so we were going to be able to watch most of it. Jonesy was pumped. Playing music, doing a radio show, and watching Chelsea in a final, the only thing that would have made him any more happy is a huge plate of Pie & Mash as he watched.

Watching this game with Jonesy in the studio was one of the greatest experiences I've had on Jonesy's Jukebox since I've been here. It helped that it was a really exciting game. Every time we would go on the air I would have the audio of the game in the background as we watched the game. We were watching the game, playing music and doing a radio show. Hilarious. At one point Chelsea was up 1-0 in the 86th minute and needed a goal to seal the deal on the game. We went on the air and Jonesy was freaking out. They were coming so close! Just as he was about to play a song because he couldn't take it anymore, Chelsea started to march down the field towards the goal. Then it happened, Frank Lampard put it in the net! YEEEEESSSSSS!!! GOOOOOOAAAALLLLL!!!! It was so awesome that this happened when we were on the air and got to hear Jonesy's honest reaction to seeing "his team" score a goal that would give them the win to advance to the Champions League Semi Finals! It was an amazing moment, I listened back to it at least ten times today. If you missed it make sure you go listen to the podcast HERE.

I can now go find Chuck P and answer his question. "Yes, I watched a futbol game in the studio with Jonesy and it was one of the greatest experiences since I started doing Jonesy's Jukebox"

After having Alexi Lalas on last week, watching the L.A. Galaxy game on Friday, and now this fantastic Chelsea game, I have to say I am becoming a much bigger futbol (uhh...I guess I have to say Soccer) fan than I ever was before.

Thanks for reading!

Make sure you listen all this week as I am filling in for TK in the afternoons from 2pm-6pm! Also, listen to TK do the morning show from 6am-10am. He's filling in for Joe Escalante who is playing a bunch of shows in Australia with his band The Vandals.

Cheers!

Begley







1 comment:

Stuart said...

Forget the futbol ; just say Football. And after watching todays Liverpool : Arsenal game as much as i am not a Liverpool fan they are just a team built to win European Games. That is going to be a classic. The Chelsea Team look tired; Coles ( Ashley and Joe ) had knocks . Drogba was down for even more time than normal. Losing Goalkeepers etc. That long season is counting and Benitezs rotation system may have more rested players.